This vegetable stir fry recipe yields so much flavor, you can even forget its health benefits. They keys to its perfection is all on the stir fry sauce and knowing exactly when to add what to the pan. This recipe is also versatile that you can add your own choice of vegetables practically dependent on what you have on hand. The tofu topping here is also delicious but really optional. If you want an all vegetable stir fry, still this recipe can match great with others. Enjoy this recipe as much as my family and friends does. This can be prepared in sixteen minutes and cooked in eighteen minutes. The recipe can serve three to four persons.
- 12-oz/350g. tofu medium firmness (about 2.5 cups cubed)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped purple OR white onion
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thickly
- 1.5 to 2 cups broccoli florets
- 6-7 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1.5 to 2 cups baby bok choy OR regular chopped green cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar or regular white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sherry or cooking sherry
- 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the tofu marinade until sugar dissolves. Cut the tofu into one and a half inch cubes and add to the sauce, gently turning to saturate. Marinade in your refrigerator.
- Next, combine stir fry sauce ingredients in a cup and reserve for frying.
- Prepare the veggies by chopping all your vegetables, keeping them in separate piles so you can add them at different times. Keep them close to your stove.
- Sprinkle flour over a large dinner plate. Then remove tofu from refrigerator and gently turn each piece in the flour. Let tofu remain sitting in the flour till frying.
- Begin frying by heat a medium size pan over high heat on your American stove. Add five to six tablespoons of oil. When oil is hot, add the floured tofu cubes and fry one minute on each side, turning tofu for each minute until medium-browned on both sides. Remove tofu from oil and set at paper towel to drain.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue frying until all tofu is cooked.
- Then heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat on your American stove. Add one tablespoon oil and wait till hot. Then add the seasonings onion and garlic and stir fry one minute until fragrant.
- Then begin adding the vegetables, first carrots and celery plus two tablespoons of vegetable stock and stir fry two minutes.
- Then add broccoli plus another two tablespoons of stock. Stir fry one minute then add two tablespoons of stir fry sauce. Stir one minute then add mushrooms and all the remaining stock. Stir fry one minute.
- Then add boy choy or cabbage, the red pepper and all the remaining stir fry sauce, and keep stirring everything together until vegetables are bright in color and cooked but still retain crisp for about 1.5 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and taste-test. Some fresh-cut chili or chili flakes can be added for more spice. Adjust taste according to desire.
- To serve, transfer vegetables onto a serving plate or individual plates or bowls. Tip the pan to pour the remaining sauce and top with the tofu.
- Serve this fabulous vegetarian stir fry recipe with hot steaming rice and enjoy.